The PICC Clinical Program provides precepted live PICC insertions in an acute care environment. Students may choose a 2 or 3-day PICC Clinical track. PICC Clinicals will begin with observation / simulation and continue with hands-on PICC insertions. Depending on the student’s progression and comfort level with the procedure, there will be the possibility of up to 4 (or more) one-on-one, instructor supervised, Ultrasound PICC insertions utilizing the Modified Seldinger Technique (MST) and ECG tip confirmation technology.
The student will receive a completed Clinical Procedure Checklist with a written assessment of proficiency for each insertion performed. CE and/or PICC Qualification certificates will only be issued to those individuals who successfully demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge and ability to comply with the proper procedural steps required to place an MST/Ultrasound PICC, as outlined in the course objectives.
- Verbalize and demonstrate the procedural steps listed on the Clinical Procedure Checklist for the insertion of Peripherally Inserted Central Catheters via MST-Ultrasound placement
- Discuss and adjust procedural steps to implement the instruction, suggestions and recommendations provided by the preceptor to acquire PICC insertion skills
- Demonstrate the ability to document the essential elements in the Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter via MST-Ultrasound placement insertion process
Who may attend?
- Demonstrate progress towards independently performing the procedure for Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter insertion via MST-Ultrasound placement, requiring incrementally less support and/or prompting related to the procedural steps throughout the PICC Clinical experience
RN, ARNP, PA and MD who possess an active/clear professional license within the United States
Prerequisites & Additional Requirements:
Location & Scheduling:
- Must be licensed for a minimum of one year and have recent venous access experience
- Completion of the Infusion Knowledge PICC Education Program within the past 6 months
- Documentation of professional liability insurance and a valid CPR card
- Must complete a background check, fingerprinting and drug screening through specified provider
- Must obtain a health screening and provide documentation of required immunizations
- Completion of required BayCare Health System online orientation
- Completion of required BARD online course
- PICC Clinicals are scheduled upon request on 2 or 3 consecutive days (Monday through Saturday)
- PICC Clinicals are taught by Infusion Knowledge, Inc. in cooperation with Morton Plant Hospital in Clearwater, Florida and/or Mease Countryside Hospital in Safety Harbor, Florida.
- Once all registration requirements are complete, the student will be contacted by Infusion Knowledge, Inc. to schedule a PICC Clinical date.
For more information related to registration or payment, contact:
- To register using a payment plan, there will be a $40 non-refundable fee plus 1/3 of the course fee is required to register for the course, the remainder may be paid in full or in 2 installments. *Please Note: Payment Plan installments must be paid in full before attending clinical labs.
- Includes a student ID badge, SPC uniform top, online orientation, and clinical supervision
- Note: We cannot guarantee the availability of PICC insertions on any given day. Refunds / transfers will not be given for the PICC Clinical Program.
St. Petersburg College at 727-302-6477
For more information related to scheduling or the actual PICC Clinical experience, contact:
Infusion Knowledge, Inc. at 727-446-5825